At my ultrasound on Tuesday we found out baby is measuring at close to 44 weeks in size...eek. They are estimating close to 9 pounds (I was 38 weeks 2 days at the ultrasound and of course could be off up to a pound and a half in either direction) but the doc is more concerned with his head/shoulders fitting, so he strongly urged having a c-section. I didn't like the idea of not even trying to deliver normally so I asked that I be induced, see if my body reacts to the cervidil and pitocin, and try to go ahead that way. My cervix is soft but I have zero dilation (TMI?). My doctor wouldn't let me go--or strongly advised me to not go--past 39 1/2 weeks anyway. I have pretty painful braxton hicks for a couple hours here and there and then they go away and it has been that way since 36 weeks. I'm happy to know that the baby is perfectly healthy and ready to go! So, if by Monday early afternoon I haven't made significant progress, things will likely end in a c-section...eek, again.
This whole induction thing has sparked some controversy--I feel like induction is the healthcare of the pregnancy world--so controversial! I, to some degree, fall into the category of "baby will come when he is ready", but to be fully sold on that-to me- is somewhat naive. In my case, his head won't drop into my pelvix and my cervix won't dilate on its own because it's saying, "um, HELLO. huge head will NOT fit. I know your body and I'm doing you a favor." So, what do you do in that case? But, like most controversial/important issues, you can't convince someone to feel or believe the way you do--this is the best decision we can make for me and our little (big) boy.
We're so excited! My mom comes in tomorrow night so she'll be here for his arrival. SO WEIRD to think that in 4 days we'll be taking care of our little boy on the outside. Does it get any better than that? I submit that it does not. :-)

7 comments:
Hey Sean & Summer,
We haven't met Summer, but I grew up with Sean in the Bay Area. I just wanted to say good luck and congrats! I just had my little girl last Friday (hard to believe she's almost a week old already!) and had to have a c-section because of a few complications of our own.
I'm sure you will be great either way, Summer, but don't fret if it does come down to surgery. It's not half as scary as people make it out to be. And I was back on my feet within a couple of hours, although recovery is different for everyone.. It's mostly hype and nerves, but knowing exactly when it's coming takes some of the edge off.
All three of you will be in my prayers. Best of luck and Sean take tons of pictures or video because there is so much going on, Summer will miss out on a lot as she'll be pretty busy and will want to catch up on what happened later!
Good luck with these next few days, they seem like forever!
Sincerely,
D
Yay!!! And it was SO NOT TMI! The more info, the better. I bet you are so excited! I am excited for you. I am horrible at waiting, so I can't imagine finding out I'm pregnant and having to wait to have the little one in my arms!
That is so exciting!!! I hope everything goes well, and whether c-section or not, you gave it your best shot. I was put on pitocin with Avie. Sometimes induction just needs to happen. Keep us updated! How fun your mom will get to be there right away!
I'm so excited for The Rock Jr. to get here! I'll say some prayers that things go smoothly. Love you both!
brady had a huge head and it fit, 2 hours of pushing, but it fit. Your body adjusts. The only reason I wouldn't do c-section is I watched how hard it was for my friends afterwards and how long it takes to heal, and induction...i have heard from many friends that it hurts worse than regular labor. Brady was almost 9 lbs. I have had many friends deliver babies 9-11 lbs naturally (with drugs of course) with no problems. our bodies are meant to do this kind of thing, your body will know what to do when the time is right. no matter what you will do great and the baby will be great! so excited to see the pictures of the wee little one!
It does NOT get better. You are correct.
And, well, yeah: TMI. :-o
cant wait to see more pics. I'm so happy for yall. Congrats!
Post a Comment